Friday, June 22, 2012

Ripped in 30 Days-Just the Beginning

If you read my previous post about how I battled the bulge the first time, you would see that I am now lucky enough to do it all over again! Unlike before, I am older, wiser, and have a lot less free time than I did when I was 21 years old. This go round, I had a full-time job, a husband, and a sweet baby boy. An hour and a half to work out? Yeah right! Not going to happen! So here is how I am doing it! Yes, you read that right. I am still in the process! Losing baby weight does not happen overnight or even in 6 months. I gained 30 pounds, and pushed out a baby...it changes you...and your body! Remember how I said I am older and wiser now? I have learned a few things since college about food, and I am going to tell you have I have changed my eating habits. No more Lean Cuisines!

I don't know if I thought my body was going to go right back to the way it was, but I did absolutely nothing to lose this weight until February. Judah was already 6 months old. I have my excuses like going back to work, waking up countless times a night, and still wanting to see my husband. But one day, I just realized I was so tired all the time, I was grouchy all the time, and I was so down on myself. All these things do not do great things for your marriage. We were already adjusting to the new baby, Hayden did not need a depressed and unhappy wife. I needed to start working out, and I knew it. I think it is important to do something for yourself, and working out is one of the best things you can do.

 Also, I want to say to all of you who are reading this that exercise is not a means to an end, it is a way of life. I promise you that you can reach your goal weight, and stop exercising and you will not only see a big change in your body but also a change in your overall attitude. Exercise makes you eat better, feel better, and for me it makes me feel so accomplished. Every single time I complete my workouts, I feel empowered. So make sure you are doing this knowing that while there is an end to the excess weight, there is no end to living a healthy lifestyle!

I started working out with my good friend, Jillien Michaels in February. I had two breaks a day during the school day, one for lunch and one for planning. I was a P.E. teacher, there was not a whole lot of planning. I used it to work out. I got my book, my 5 pound weights, a jump rope, and a ball and went to work! That is all you need, Oh and a space to sprint! Luckily, I am in the gym already so it was pretty easy for me to find the space. First day, I almost threw up. Not joking, not trying to be funny, I ran into my office to hurl my guts up. It didn't happen, unfortunately, but I made it. Day 1 Done!!! I progressed through the book, and a co-worker decided she wanted in on the workouts. I can't tell you what a blessing she was to me! Thanks, Michelle! We worked out on my lunch break for 4 weeks, before some comments were made and we had to move it to the morning! Here is where sacrifice comes in! As a mom, sleep is so hard to give up because you are already sleep deprived. I had to get up earlier, wake Judah up earlier, but it was so worth it. Some of you may have thought, "It was easy for you, you are a gym teacher. you are already in the clothes, and can be sweaty all day!". Let me tell you, it was not easy. I could have been sleeping, cruising the Internet, chatting up my friends, but I used to sweat off that weight!


Anyway, we started working out at 8:00 a.m. every morning with maybe one day off. She held me accountable and I am so thankful to her. She pushed me and was so great to workout with. I will miss her! By the end of the school year on June 4, I was down 9 pounds from February! Heck yea! My skinny jeans fit, I don't mind a bathing suit, and I feel awesome! I know Hayden noticed not only my weight loss, but also my attitude. Helps your marriage when you feel good about yourself!


Diet

I don't like that word. It makes me feel deprived instantly. Before, I ate alot of Lean Cuisines, hamburger helper with turkey, low fat everything, low carb everything, and while it worked I have a new attitude towards food. I eat mostly a fruit, vegetable, and meat diet. I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day, with the help of Fitness Pal. Get this app, you can track everything you eat and all your exercise. I love it. Anyway, Hayden came home one day and said I think we should stop eating carbs. Um, excuse me! I don't think so! I love all things that are crunchy, salty, and toasted. Please, no! But Hayden explained his reasons, and they seemed valid. It is called the Primal Diet, look it up. Pretty interesting. Basically, you stop eating processed foods, and carbohydrates, and you cut back on dairy. Going back to eating the way we did before big business made it cheaper to eat a Big Mac than it did to by 1 head of broccoli. Eating this way has completely cured the crashes in the day for me. I don't just get completely starving, and binge eat. I am pretty stable. So we cook mostly things that will go bad if you don't eat them. My rule, if it can stay in your fridge/pantry for more than a week, don't eat it! I think it is important to fuel your body properly. If you feed it a double cheeseburger, fries, and a coke, it is not going to want to go run for 30 minutes. Take care of your body, don't put junk in it day in and day out. I am not saying I don't splurge because I do. I think you have to in order to stay on track. My splurge is a thin crust pepperoni pizza with jalapenos and ranch. 4 pieces, no more no less! I try not to beat myself up if I have a bad weekend, I mean it is one day. Get over it, and start fresh on Monday!

Typical day for me right now.

Breakfast: 3 eggs
Lunch: Turkey roll up w/cheese, an apple, almonds. Or leftovers which is usually a meat and a vegetable. For example, the other day we make dijon/honey chicken thighs with grilled corn. Awesome!
Snack: Almonds/blueberries/4-5 slices of turkey
Dinner:Last night we made hamburger patties with asparagus. Delicious!
LOTS OF WATER! I am talking like 90 oz! Yes, I visit the ladies room alot!



Workouts

I am doing Ripped in 30 days with my friend, Amy. I just finished Day 5. It is about 30 minutes start to finish. When I am done I either do her 6 pack in 6 weeks video which is 25 minutes, or I get on my elliptical for 20 minutes. That is what I have done for five days now, and I already feel so different from Monday. What kicked my butt Monday, was easier on Friday! So help me stick with it! If you would like more information on the Primal Diet I can point you in the right direction, or if you want do embark on this healthy lifestyle with me and Amy just send me a comment! I would love to encourage you and support you in your journey! Also, before pictures are coming!

My hope at the end of this 30 days is that I feel accomplished, and happy with myself. I am addicted to pushing myself. I want to see the transformation not only because like every girl I want to have a nice body, but because I want to see if I can do it. When it is all over, I will probably start over but maintaining is so much easier than losing! Remember, it is just the beginning!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment