Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hillary's Hosptial Stay

This past Sunday, Mother’s Day, my mom, my brother, Chris, and Hillary were all at my house. We were all about to leave to go our separate ways but Hillary said she had to go to the bathroom first. A few moments later, she called for my mom and me to come into the bathroom. She was peeing blood and in immense pain in her back. She was unable to walk or stand up without being in intense pain. When she tried to urinate again we saw that she was passing blood clots. My mom and I took her to the hospital. This was around 3:00 p.m.

We took Hillary to the emergency room at Baylor All Saints where she had her surgery. Thankfully, there was no one there and we only waited a few minutes before she was taken back into a room.
Once she was in the room they did another urine sample and took her vital signs. Her urine sample was only blood. They started giving her morphine and something for nausea because the morphine was making her very sick to her stomach. I don’t know what they did with her urine and blood samples but they came back and said she would need to do a CT scan. A CT scan is the test were they insert the dye to see how your kidneys are filtering. The tech in the radiology lab said there was definitely something going on with her right kidney. Her right kidney was the kidney that they repaired on April 12.

Around 9:30 p.m. the ER doctor came back and said her kidney was filling with blood caused by a hemorrhage in the top of her kidney. I was not back there for this part but Hillary said he really scared her because he made it sound like she may lose her kidney. So the reason why she was passing blood clots is because she was bleeding into her kidney. At this point, she was not able to urinate on her own because the blood was blocking her kidney. Anyway, back to the doctor. The ER doctor said he would call her kidney doctor, Dr. Gould, and see what he wanted to do. Dr. Gould said he did not want anyone to operate her touch her kidney until he could come in the morning and look over her scans with the radiologist. He said her vitals were stable, so to keep her there until he could come in the morning.

Hillary was very scared and overwhelmed but she handled it well. On top of all of it, she was getting very nauseous from the pain medication so she was throwing up frequently. I felt so bad for her. I know she was scared, and was unsure of what the outcome of all this would be but her family was with her and I think that helped a little. We were all there. Tyler, my dad, my step -mom, Sonja, my mom, Chelsea, and her boyfriend, Cameron, and Natalie.

Monday, Dr. Gould came in and said he would be inserting a stint to open up her ureter to allow the blood to pass into her bladder. After the stint was put in, she started to slowly feel better. The pressure in her bladder and the pain in her kidneys started to improve. Tuesday she started to look much better and by Wednesday she was ready to go home for sure and I am sure her fiancé, Tyler, and my mom were too. They stayed with her all day and night.

Wednesday, she started to only urinate a rusty colored which from my understanding means she is passing old blood not new blood. This means that the bleeding has stopped. They do not know what caused it. They said it could be a hereditary, a trauma, or just a freak accident. Who knows, but I am so thankful she is getting better.

Today, Thursday, she was released to go home. I am not sure the details but I know she won’t be able to do much for a while but they think the bleeding has stopped. Thank you all for your continued support and prayers for Hillary. He was listening, as of now she is fine and going home. God is good J

No comments:

Post a Comment